I have been addicted to reading since landing in Australia. There is a rare time that I am without a book or don't have 5 books from the library waiting for me to dig into! I thought I would share with you the books I have been able to read since landing Down Under.
- In the Brisbane Airport I finished the last 130 pages of Dive from Clausien's Pier by Ann Patcher. I left it in the airpot just in case anyone needed a good read for their upcoming trip!
- An Idiot Abroad: Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington by Karl Pilkington. SOOO funny! (there is also a dvd set with his adventures) You know it will be good when Ricky Gervais is your friend and sending you on these crazy adventures!
- Five Things I Can't Live Without by Holly Shumas. It was a good, fast, chic lit, read. It did make me thing though about what things in life I value and can't live without.
- The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak. This book was great, if I find it in a store I think I will purchase it. After reading this book I was really intrigued by Sufi's, Devrishes, and Rumis poems and made a note to do much further research!
- If You Have to Cry Go Outside & Other Things Your Mother Never Told You by Kelly Cutrone with Meredith Bryan. This book was so good that Dave ended up reading it after me. Kelly is an independent woman who has made a career that she loves after a lot of shit has happened in her life and has discovered herself along the way. I found it to be inspiring.
- Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. If you liked the movie, read the book...its SOOO much better! I never realized it until I finally read the book, and then automatically downloaded the movie and found that the book couldn't be beaten.
- Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing Up Groovy & Clueless by Susan Jane Gilman.
- Kabul Girls Soccer Club by Awista Ayub
- The Twits by Ronald Dahl I just have to say I am NOT a fan of this book and my future children will not be reading it!
- About a Boy by Nick Hornby. SOOOOO good and while reading it I kept imagining Hugh Grant and nothing is bad about that!
- Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox. We read this book for book club. It was well written and a good read, I learned a lot about Michael A. Fox (his real middle initial!).
- Little Bee by Chris Cleave. Good book with a great story, it made me think if I would give up a finger for someone...I hope I would.
- Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris. OH! MY! This book was great, when I got done reading it I told Dave straight away that this book could be an amazing movie if done right! It is about a girl, her family, history, love, and secrets...read it!
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. All I wanted to do was see what the hype was a few years ago involving the book and movie....and then I sucked in! I'm disgraced with myself..but I did buy the next three books in the series..for shame!
- The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean. Story about a college girl who loses her grandma (her only family) and falls in love with running her grandma's vintage shop in which she grew up in. Has love, lost, hope, and triumph..all the ingredients needed for a great book. This book really made me want to open up my second hand book shop!
PHHEEWWWW! Are you as tired as I am from just reading the list and recap?!? Don't worry I will do a better job at keeping you updated with the reading list! This week I have purchased 6 more books to read..Dave and I just call it building up our collection for when we have our own second hand bookshop! If you have any questions about the books listed or looking for any reading recommendations let me know!
Across the way someone is practicing Hot Cross Buns on their recorder and it is precious. Did you have to play the recorder as a kid in school? I did and I was so good I got to perform for a PTA meeting with three other classmates....maybe I should have kept up with the recorder and become a big star!